My New Book Living More Than OK

My New Book Living More Than OK
purchase it at B & N, Amazon or (click on image of cover)

Friday, May 18, 2012

Supporting Our Local Libraries

As a dedicated bookhead, I believe part of living more than ok is supporting my local library. When we moved to New Braunfels a trip to the library to obtain library cards was one of the first things we did as a family. As I was taking some books back a couple weeks ago, on the library door I noticed a sign promoting a Book and Author Luncheon. Since I had finished teaching my classes at the College I decided to purchas a ticket and go.

I was glad to see it was a fundraiser for renovating of the Children’s Room at the New Braunfels Public Library . This made an inner connection with me. I thought back to when I was in second grade during my Summers at the library in my hometown of Barberton, Ohio that my love of reading began with the Children Department’s Summer reading program. Programs like that is where creating bookheads begin by encouraging children to read. The children’s department was on the second floor and very bright and cheery. I remember the librarians were always positive and encouraging as they would ask what the books were about that I took out to read.
On the day of the luncheon they had a full house. The community support for the library says good things about New Braunfels. They had a display of how the new children’s room would look like, a silent auction, tables set up for the authors, and a bookselling table for the author’s books.

I was interested in hearing from the authors who spoke during the luncheon. Let me introduce you to the authors I heard. Each of their stories varied as to what moved them into writing.

Coert Vorhees has been a journalist, teacher, Fulbright scholar. Most of his writing is for middle and senior high school students. If you are a teacher you must check out his grammaropolis.com website to help youngsters with grammar. I like how he told me he made it to help the vegetables go down. How true, even college students do not enjoy going over grammar basics.

Earle Martin is a retired Episcopal Priest and psychotherapist. He shared with us his new book The Boy Who Saved My Life . The story is about his relationship as a grandparent with his autistic grandson. He shared how his grandson helped pull him out of a time of deep depression. It is a compelling story to encourage people in their relationships with special needs children in their sphere of influence.

Diana Untermeyer spoke of how her experience as a diplomat’s wife opened up an opportunity to write her first book about the country of Qatar. The title is Qatar: Sand, Sea, and Sky. It has amazing photography work in it.

John Demers was the most prolific of the featured authors with 37 books to his credit. With his stories of growing up in New Orleans during his presentation and his being a food editor it was no surprise that his non-fiction and fiction books relate to the world of food. You may want to check out his blog Delicious Mischief.


Dwight Edwards was the last author to present. He is a pastor in the Houston area and president of Highoctaneforthemind.com which encourages people to live at peak performance. His latest book is A Tale of Three Ships : Charting Your Course In Life. If you are looking for a gift for a high school grad or college grad this book has a positive message for them. Of course I believe it can help anyone at any stage of their life journey.

I am glad I took time to support my local library with this Book Author Luncheon. Just hearing the author’s stories I received much more back than the initial ticket price. Of course I enjoyed winning a door prize of Marble Slab Creamery ice cream as well. If you ever have a chance to attend a author luncheon try it out. If your local library is doing a fundraiser be a supporter to encourage reading in our culture.

Reflection: Think back to your experiences with libraries. What memories do you remember? Write these down in your journal. Take some time to visit your local library if you have not done so recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment