My New Book Living More Than OK

My New Book Living More Than OK
purchase it at B & N, Amazon or (click on image of cover)

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Enjoying a Passion for Reading



Do you have a passion for reading? If so, there is a little book that can aid in your personal introspection concerning your positive habit of reading. The book is I’d Rather Be Reading by Anne Bogel. When I saw the title, I had to agree most of the time I would rather be reading. Anne Bogel is an writer and a passionate reader. She writes a blog -- Modern Mrs. Darcy inspired by a Jane Austen book. She also has a podcast entitled, What Should I Read Next? She definitely models a passion for reading with her life.

Her book covers many topics and has important insights into the reading life. Even starting in the Introduction I appreciated how she presented questions for readers to think through such as “When you turn to the written word, what are you looking for? What Themes speak to you? What sort of places do you want to vicariously visit? What types of characters do you enjoy meeting on the page?” These are important questions that can guide our selection of new reading options. She makes a good point that in our reading life it is important to think through questions that impact our reading habits.

I will touch on just a few of many points in the book that stood out to me. One of the most thought provoking sections was her thoughts on how books “find us”. She shared stories of several of her more memorable books she read and how those books came into her life. At the end of that chapter she closes with, “I’ve learned that sometimes, despite my best efforts, a book expectantly finds me and not the other way around. And when it does, it’s okay to reshuffle my To Be Read list and go with it.” I thought through in my life, books I have stumbled upon just at the time I needed them. I believe it is God in His mysterious way knowing what books are often best for us at the right time.

Another thought she brings out is how books help us see life through the lives of others. They open our eyes to new places. That thought took me back to my early reading years in my elementary school days in the small town of Barberton, Ohio. Books opened my mind to the larger world around me and to the diversity of people in the world. Part of my interest in traveling today I believe came about because of my early reading.

I fully agree with her thought that books shape who we are, “As a devoted reader, I know what it means for books to shape you – the person you are and the person you were then.” Various authors have had an impact on my life strengthening my beliefs and values. Books have helped shape my career trajectory of going into people helping professions of counseling and teaching.

I have just touched on a few ideas of many I found interesting in Anne’s book, I’d Rather Be Reading. It is a book that should be in the home of every passionate reader. Her thoughts will help inspire you to be deeper reader and a promoter of reading.



Reflections: How has reading shaped your life? Are there particular impactful books that came into your life at just the right time?

No comments:

Post a Comment