My New Book Living More Than OK

My New Book Living More Than OK
purchase it at B & N, Amazon or (click on image of cover)

Sunday, April 7, 2019

Music as a Therapeutic Tool in Healing


This week I wanted to continue in the same topic as my previous blog post that shared how music can be used in the therapeutic healing process. The focus last week looked at how songs can help improve our relationships. This week I am looking at instrumental music, primarily from a neuro researcher and composer who I mentioned in the past on a post on mindfulness.

Dr. Jeffrey Thompson from the biography section of his website is “the Founder/Director of the Center for Neuroacoustic Research in Carlsbad, California, a research center which is actualizing its vision of ‘Healing the Body*Heart*Mind and Spirit through the Scientific Application of Sound.’”
(http://scientificsounds.com/index.php/dr-thompson/biography ). He has been experimenting with the healing nature of sound since the 1980’s. He has a passion for composing and has a variety of compositions on CD and downloads at his store website (http://scientificsounds.com/index.php/store/healing ). Also on the website under the library link you can find articles on the benefit of music to healing and our life journey.

What are the benefits of music for a person? Under the benefits section he lists benefits that have been found for people. Then in looking in the library section of his website you can see some of the research that backs up the benefits listed. Here is a sampling of some of the benefits listed:

More calmness
More ability to handle stress
Improved emotional responses
More restorative sleep
Improved physical, emotional and belief system health
Increased energy
Less pain
A better sense of themselves

On his website under “Benefits” there is a longer list as well as testimonials from those who have used his music products. I myself when working in my office to keep my mind centered and relaxed I often use his music in the background. Also when I give exams in my classes I often have his music playing to help relax the students’ minds to help counter text anxiety. In my counseling practice I often suggest his compositions as a possible choice if they are dealing with anxiety or having trouble sleeping. If you want to hear an example of his music here is a sample of a composition called “Renewal One” found on Youtube -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tm0sjhSF8g . A number of his works have been posted on Youtube but at his store on his website you can order CD’s, downloads, and mini audio players pre-loaded with 3-6 hours of music.

Growing in awareness of the power of healing in instrumental music is important in our continual growth of Living a More Than OK life. I also encourage the use of classical music and relaxing jazz music to keep our minds aware or to relax our bodies from stress. I just wanted to emphasize Dr. Jeffrey Thompson today as his music is researched based. I encourage you to check our his website I have listed and read up on some of the articles in his library if you are more interested in the power of music to improve your life and health.


Reflection: What instrumental music do you enjoy? Take time to listen to the “Renewal One” composition. What were your feelings while you were listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment